The other Market Street was pulled from the user for copyrights but this has a nice music mix. San Francisco in 1906 4days before the devastating earth quake that took 3000 lives. In this vid you get to ride to the end of Market Street to the Ferry Building below.
Market Street is a major street and important thoroughfare in San Francisco, California. It begins at The Embarcadero in front of the Ferry Building at the northeastern edge of the city and runs southwest through downtown, passing the Civic Center and the Castro District, to the intersection with Corbett Avenue in the Twin Peaks neighborhood. At this point, the roadway continues as Portola Drive until it terminates in the southwestern quadrant of San Francisco.
Market Street’s role as an axis is enhanced by its position at the boundary of two street grids. Streets on its southeast side are parallel or perpendicular to Market Street, while those on the northwest are only a few degrees off from the cardinal directions.
Market Street is a major transit artery for the city of San Francisco, and has carried in turn horse-drawn streetcars, cable cars, electric streetcars, electric trolleybuses and diesel buses. Today Muni‘s buses, trolleybuses and heritage streetcars (on the F Market line) share the street, while below the street the two-level Market Street Subway carries Muni Metro and BART. While cable cars no longer operate on Market Street, the surviving cable car lines terminate to the side of the street at its intersections with California Street and Powell Street.
Market Street cuts across the city for three miles (5 km) from the waterfront to the hills of Twin Peaks. It was laid out originally by Jasper O’Farrell, a 26-year old trained civil engineer, who emigrated to Yerba Buena, as the town was then known. The town was renamed San Francisco in 1846 after it was captured by Americans during the Mexican-American War. O’Farrell first repaired the original layout of the settlement around Portsmouth Square and then established Market Street as the widest street in town. It was described at the time as an arrow aimed straight at “Los Pechos de la Choca” (the Breasts of the Maiden), now called Twin Peaks. Writing in Forgotten Pioneers, T.F. Pendergast wrote:
“When the engineer had completed his map of Market Street and the southern part of the city, what was regarded as the abnormal width of the proposed street excited part of the populace, and an indignation meeting was held to protest against the plan as wanton disregard for rights of landowners; and the mob, for such it was, decided for lynch law. A friend warned O’Farrell, before the crowd had dispersed. He rode with all haste to North Beach, took a boat for Sausalito, and thence put distance behind him on fast horses in relay until he reached his retreat in Sonoma. He found it discreet to remain some time in the country before venturing to return to the city.”
At the time, the right-of-way of Market Street was blocked by a sixty-foot sand dune, at the location of the Palace Hotel now, and a hundred yards further west stood a sand hill nearly ninety feet tall. The city soon filled in the ground between Portsmouth Square and Happy Valley at First and Mission Street. The dunes were leveled and the sand used for fill.
Video uploaded by U Tube user Eightbanger