1906 Earthquake San Francisco Market Street (After)

The aftermath of the 1906 earthquake: From Wikipedia

The San Francisco earthquake of 1906 was a major earthquake that struck San Francisco, California, and the coast of Northern California at 5:12 a.m. on Wednesday, April 18, 1906. The most widely accepted estimate for the magnitude of the earthquake is a moment magnitude (Mw) of 7.9; however, other values have been proposed, from 7.7 to as high as 8.25.

The main shock epicenter occurred offshore about 2 miles (3 km) from the city, near Mussel Rock. It ruptured along the San Andreas Fault both northward and southward for a total of 296 miles (477 km).Shaking was felt from Oregon to Los Angeles, and inland as far as central Nevada. The earthquake and resulting fire are remembered as one of the worst natural disasters in the history of the United States alongside the Galveston Hurricane of 1900. The death toll from the earthquake and resulting fire, estimated to be above 3,000, is the greatest loss of life from a natural disaster in California’s history. The economic impact has been compared with the more recent Hurricane Katrina.

Impact:

At the time, 375 deaths were reported; the figure was fabricated by government officials who felt that reporting the true death toll would hurt real estate prices and efforts to rebuild the city; additionally, hundreds of casualties in Chinatown went ignored and unrecorded. This figure is still uncertain today, estimated to be roughly 3,000 at minimum. Most of the deaths occurred in San Francisco itself, but 189 were reported elsewhere in the Bay Area; nearby cities, such as Santa Rosa and San Jose also suffered severe damages. In Monterey County, the earthquake permanently shifted the course of the Salinas River near its mouth. Where previously the river emptied into Monterey Bay between Moss Landing and Watsonville, it was diverted 6 miles south to a new outlet just north of Marina.

Between 227,000 and 300,000 people were left homeless out of a population of about 410,000; half of the people who evacuated fled across the bay to Oakland and Berkeley. Newspapers at the time described Golden Gate Park, the Presidio, the Panhandle and the beaches between Ingleside and North Beach as being covered with makeshift tents. More than two years later in 1908, many of these refugee camps were still in full operation.

The 1908 Lawson Report, a study of the 1906 quake lead and edited by Professor Andrew Lawson of the University of California, showed that the very same San Andreas Fault which had caused the disaster in San Francisco ran close to Los Angeles as well. The earthquake was the first natural disaster of its magnitude to be documented by photography and motion picture footage. Furthermore, it occurred at a time when the science of seismology was blossoming. The overall cost of the damage from the earthquake was estimated at the time to be around US$400 million ($9.5 billion in 2009 dollars).

Video uploaded by U Tube user


Advertisements

1906 San Francisco Market St Repaired Version- Ride to The Ferry Building Before The Earthquake

The other Market Street was pulled from the user for copyrights but this has a nice music mix. San Francisco in 1906 4days before the devastating earth quake that took 3000 lives. In this vid you get to ride to the end of Market Street to the Ferry Building below.

Market Street is a major street and important thoroughfare in San Francisco, California. It begins at The Embarcadero in front of the Ferry Building at the northeastern edge of the city and runs southwest through downtown, passing the Civic Center and the Castro District, to the intersection with Corbett Avenue in the Twin Peaks neighborhood. At this point, the roadway continues as Portola Drive until it terminates in the southwestern quadrant of San Francisco.

Market Street’s role as an axis is enhanced by its position at the boundary of two street grids. Streets on its southeast side are parallel or perpendicular to Market Street, while those on the northwest are only a few degrees off from the cardinal directions.

Market Street is a major transit artery for the city of San Francisco, and has carried in turn horse-drawn streetcars, cable cars, electric streetcars, electric trolleybuses and diesel buses. Today Muni‘s buses, trolleybuses and heritage streetcars (on the F Market line) share the street, while below the street the two-level Market Street Subway carries Muni Metro and BART. While cable cars no longer operate on Market Street, the surviving cable car lines terminate to the side of the street at its intersections with California Street and Powell Street.

In its role as an axis, Market Street has been compared to Fifth Avenue, the Champs-Élysées or the Great White Way.

History:

Market Street cuts across the city for three miles (5 km) from the waterfront to the hills of Twin Peaks. It was laid out originally by Jasper O’Farrell, a 26-year old trained civil engineer, who emigrated to Yerba Buena, as the town was then known. The town was renamed San Francisco in 1846 after it was captured by Americans during the Mexican-American War. O’Farrell first repaired the original layout of the settlement around Portsmouth Square and then established Market Street as the widest street in town. It was described at the time as an arrow aimed straight at “Los Pechos de la Choca” (the Breasts of the Maiden), now called Twin Peaks. Writing in Forgotten Pioneers, T.F. Pendergast wrote:

“When the engineer had completed his map of Market Street and the southern part of the city, what was regarded as the abnormal width of the proposed street excited part of the populace, and an indignation meeting was held to protest against the plan as wanton disregard for rights of landowners; and the mob, for such it was, decided for lynch law. A friend warned O’Farrell, before the crowd had dispersed. He rode with all haste to North Beach, took a boat for Sausalito, and thence put distance behind him on fast horses in relay until he reached his retreat in Sonoma. He found it discreet to remain some time in the country before venturing to return to the city.”

At the time, the right-of-way of Market Street was blocked by a sixty-foot sand dune, at the location of the Palace Hotel now, and a hundred yards further west stood a sand hill nearly ninety feet tall. The city soon filled in the ground between Portsmouth Square and Happy Valley at First and Mission Street. The dunes were leveled and the sand used for fill.

Video uploaded by U Tube user


Market Street 1906 San Francisco (Film from 60 mins)

From Wikipedia:

Market Street is a major street and important thoroughfare in San Francisco, California. It begins at The Embarcadero in front of the Ferry Building at the northeastern edge of the city and runs southwest through downtown, passing the Civic Center and the Castro District, to the intersection with Corbett Avenue in the Twin Peaks neighborhood. At this point, the roadway continues as Portola Drive until it terminates in the southwestern quadrant of San Francisco.

Market Street’s role as an axis is enhanced by its position at the boundary of two street grids. Streets on its southeast side are parallel or perpendicular to Market Street, while those on the northwest are only a few degrees off from the cardinal directions.

Market Street is a major transit artery for the city of San Francisco, and has carried in turn horse-drawn streetcars, cable cars, electric streetcars, electric trolleybuses and diesel buses. Today Muni‘s buses, trolleybuses and heritage streetcars (on the F Market line) share the street, while below the street the two-level Market Street Subway carries Muni Metro and BART. While cable cars no longer operate on Market Street, the surviving cable car lines terminate to the side of the street at its intersections with California Street and Powell Street.

In its role as an axis, Market Street has been compared to Fifth Avenue, the Champs-Élysées or the Great White Way.

History

Market Street cuts across the city for three miles (5 km) from the waterfront to the hills of Twin Peaks. It was laid out originally by Jasper O’Farrell, a 26-year old trained civil engineer, who emigrated to Yerba Buena, as the town was then known. The town was renamed San Francisco in 1846 after it was captured by Americans during the Mexican-American War. O’Farrell first repaired the original layout of the settlement around Portsmouth Square and then established Market Street as the widest street in town. It was described at the time as an arrow aimed straight at “Los Pechos de la Choca” (the Breasts of the Maiden), now called Twin Peaks. Writing in Forgotten Pioneers, T.F. Pendergast wrote:

“When the engineer had completed his map of Market Street and the southern part of the city, what was regarded as the abnormal width of the proposed street excited part of the populace, and an indignation meeting was held to protest against the plan as wanton disregard for rights of landowners; and the mob, for such it was, decided for lynch law. A friend warned O’Farrell, before the crowd had dispersed. He rode with all haste to North Beach, took a boat for Sausalito, and thence put distance behind him on fast horses in relay until he reached his retreat in Sonoma. He found it discreet to remain some time in the country before venturing to return to the city.”

At the time, the right-of-way of Market Street was blocked by a sixty-foot sand dune, at the location of the Palace Hotel now, and a hundred yards further west stood a sand hill nearly ninety feet tall. The city soon filled in the ground between Portsmouth Square and Happy Valley at First and Mission Street. The dunes were leveled and the sand used for fill.

Well now just discovered this, (7/29/11) the music in the video was owned by EMI what a shame the fella who put this together really chose a nice mix Oh well. I’m going to work on this in the mean time enjoy a revised edition of the same clip.

Please go here to see the- New Post of Market Street